- What information the Site collects
We limit the personal information that we collect to what is necessary for the purposes that we have identified. The types of information that we collect include:
Information you provide directly to us:
You are not required to provide information directly to us in order to view the Site. However, when you use certain Site functions, such as when you register for certain services, access certain content or features, or directly contact the Site, we may ask you to provide information, including:
- Registration and contact information, such as name, email address, postal address, phone number, and mobile number;
- Username and password;
- Search queries conducted on the Site; and
- Correspondence you send to us.
Information automatically collected when you visit and interact with the Site:
When you visit and interact with the Site, certain information may be collected automatically, including:
- your computer’s Internet Protocol (IP) address;
- your browser type and operating system;
- web pages and advertisements that you view, and links that you click on, within the Site;
- information about the searches you perform on the Site and how you use the results of those searches;
- information about the services that you use on the Site, how frequently you use them; and your responses to the offerings and advertisements presented on the Site, including those available through third party websites
- standard server log information; and
- information collected through HTML cookies, Flash cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies.
For more information, please see our discussion of cookies and other technologies.
Information we collect from other sources:
We may access information about you from third-party sources and platforms (such as social networking sites, databases, online marketing firms, and ad targeting firms), including:
- if you access third-party social networking services (such as Facebook Connect or Twitter) through the Site, your username and connection lists for those services;
- demographic data, such as age range, gender, and interests;
- advertisement interaction and viewing data, such as ad click-through rates and information about how many times you viewed a particular ad; and
- unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers, that can identify the physical location of such devices in accordance with applicable law.
We collect information for one or more of the following purposes:
We may use the information that we collect to send you e-mail communications, such as editorial updates, information about your account or changes to the Site, and promotional messages about our own or our marketing partners’ products and services. If you signed up for one of our email newsletters, we also will send you the newsletter that you requested.
In order to provide our readers with free access to our content, we display advertisements on the Site. To create a more customized online experience for you, some of the ads you may receive are tailored to your preferences using information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other sources, such as ad networks which help us to present customized content and advertisements on the Site. Through this process, advertisers reach Site visitors who are most interested in their products, and you see advertising for products or services in which you may be interested. For more information on how cookies and other technologies work, please see our discussion of cookies and other technologies.
Some of the advertisements you see on the Site are selected and delivered by third parties, such as ad networks, advertising agencies, advertisers, and audience segment providers. These third parties may collect information about you and your online activities, either on the Site or on other websites, through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies in an effort to understand your interests and deliver to you advertisements that are tailored to your interests.
These third parties may offer you a way to choose not to have your information used for advertising purposes. For example, some of these companies are members of the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada (“DAAC”), which provides a single location where you can opt out of receiving targeted ads from member companies. To opt out, please visit the DAAC’s website.
Please note that if you choose to opt out of having your information used to deliver advertisements tailored to your interests, you will continue to see advertisements on the Site, but these advertisements may not be as relevant to you.
To provide you with an open, but also civil, discussion forum, we track user involvement in our community discussions. For example, we keep track of the ratio of how many flagged comments are eventually deleted in order to award badges to our most effective comment moderators. For more information on this process, please see our FAQ section about comment moderation guidelines.
- Information Sharing
Jamhuuriyada Online values your privacy, and shares information about our users only under certain circumstances. We will make information about you available to other companies, applications, or people in the circumstances listed below:
- We may share aggregated information or information that does not directly identify you with third parties to help us develop content, services, and advertising that we hope you will find of interest. Please note that we do not share contact information with third parties that advertise on the Site.
- We may employ third parties to perform Site-related services, including database management, maintenance services, analytics, marketing, data processing, and email and text message distribution. These third parties have access to your information only to perform these tasks on our behalf.
- If you choose to engage in public activities on the site, such as posting comments on community message boards, any information you submit can be read, collected, or used by others. Please exercise caution when deciding to disclose any personal information in public activities or submissions.
- We may share information about you to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety or other rights and interests of any person, violations of the Site’s Terms and Conditions, or as otherwise required by law.
- We may share information about you to respond to court orders, search warrants, judicial proceedings, subpoenas, legal process, or other law enforcement measures, to establish or exercise our legal rights, or to defend against legal claims.
- In addition to the scenarios identified above, we may share information about you for any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent.